Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Speaking of learning the hard way...

Last night I watched the movie of the Natalee Holloway case on Lifetime Movie Network. I found it very disturbing, not just because of the tragedy their family endured, but also because of kids traveling abroad without their parents. When Mommy and Daddy aren't there, you do feel a sense of freedom, you can get away with a lot more, the same rules you have at home don't apply here. I was reminded of when I took a student trip to Russia after my junior year. Beth Holloway now goes to different schools and talks to kids about how you need to have a plan to get home, and don't change your plans, always stay with your group and have a plan to get back home. Thank you "N" for making sure I got in the same cab as you when we were leaving that restaurant where I drank entirely too much vodka in a foreign country where I didn't know how to speak the language that well. I haven't done the 12 steps, but I know that if I did, when I got to step 8, I would definitely appologize to you because I put you in that position of responsibility when we were in Russia.

No comments: