Thursday, April 16, 2009

Learned the hard way

Many of life's lessons I have learned the hard way. The lesson I learned yesterday, was no exception. I have been warned, in fact by a fellow blogger I'm a Mom?!, to not take my kids to school in my pajamas. I still told her, that I would because it's not like I would have to get out of the car, and she still warned me that maybe I haven't *yet*. Well, yesterday was the exception.

I left the house with plenty of time to get dressed, but I thought better of it, I can just take Big Girl Princess to school, drop her off then take a shower and get dressed, go to Pilates class, and get on with my day. I just put a sweatshirt on over my pajamas, and wore some flip flops and was out the door. Well, on our way there, I was thinking that my car was making weird noises, but I just went on ahead, I'll fix it later, whatever it is. I got on the street that her school is on and my car starts shaking, and I'm sure something is terribly wrong. I was able to make it to the drive that goes into her school parking lot, turn my hazard lights on and pull over. I stepped out of the car, and walked around to the other side to see that the right front tire was flat, and we're talking FLAT! Well, now I'm shaking, trying to call the husband, to tell him, and find out how I get that road side assistance that comes with our car insurance, but he didn't answer his phone so I left him a voice mail. I then realized that I still needed to take Big Girl Princess to her school safely. She couldn't just walk across the parking lot by herself, so I walked with her, and with Baby Princess, who was also in her pajamas, to the sidewalk in front of the school building and sent her on her way. I walked with Baby Princess back to the car, where I got her back in her seat with the seat belt on, and proceeded to go ahead and change the tire, since husband still hadn't called back, and I was still unable to reach him by phone. Another mother drove up and asked if I wanted some help, kidding that we need to find a man to help us. I told her that I was just going to change it, and she was telling me that I didn't have to do that, but I asked her if she ever had to learn how in her drivers ed class, to which she said she did. I continued to get the jack under the car, to change the tire and there she is right next to me wanting to help. I felt like this was so nice of her, and then another mom showed up to help out. This is one thing I love about where I live and where my daughter goes to school, I have met some very, very nice people there. Another mom even stopped to see if I was okay, I actually know her, so I thanked her and sent her on, since we (me and these other two stranger moms) seemed to have it all covered. We were successful in changing the tire, all three of us, so I then got home and dressed and went off to get my tires looked at and had to replace both front tires, but they wouldn't be ready for another few hours. This gave me and Baby Princess some time to meet some friends for lunch.

I think this is why we have friends, to make us smile even when we have a day as tragic as this one was. Yankee Belle and I met up and let the kids play while we ate lunch and I was able to tell her about what happened, which as it turns out is a pretty funny story. I'm safe, my kids are safe, my car still runs, we're all good. I was talking to YB about my blog, and my latest post being about Evolution vs. Creationism, and we realized that I pissed off God, and he was showing me who was boss by flattening my tire! I'm just joking - I don't think God works like that.

3 comments:

*Yankee Belle* said...

I hope He doesnt work that way, or I'm in some trouble... =P

I'm a Mom!..? said...

Very funny story, not to mention the very reason I get somewhat dressed before heading out the door.

Way to go on changing a tire, I know how to do it in theory but don't think I could actually manage it on my own!!

Laura said...

Check my blog - there's something there for you!