Friday, January 30, 2009

Debt Diet - the rules

1. I must make a list before going to the grocery store, if it's not on the list it is not legal. Also, just so I won't be "working the system" I will only include things I need on the list. To be clear; Wine - need, gossip magazines - want. To help with this list, I will also make my menus for the week(s) to help with planning. Sometimes I do have to go to the store in the middle of the week, for milk or bread or something, on these occasions I must have a list, and still can NOT stray from that list, if all I need is milk, then that is all I can get.

2. NO DRIVE-THRUS. I can not just decide that tonight I don't want to cook and get the kids something at a fast-food restaurant. I have the menu prepared, therefore I can prepare that meal, as I should have the ingredients since I most likely got them at the store. The only time there is an exception to this is if I am very ill and can not get up from the bed to cook dinner, my plan is to stay healthy throughout the month. :)

3. We will still give to our church, this includes dinner on Wednesday nights.

4. Super Bowl Sunday, we can still order pizza. This is a tradition in our household which we will keep and Super Bowl Sunday just happens to fall on the first day of February.

5. Playgroups. On playgroup days I will have to bring a snack that can be made from what I have in the kitchen. I can NOT just go pick something up at the store on my way to playgroup.

6. Moms Night Out. I will have to go to these events with cash, and I can't spend past the cash that I have. If I have to use my check card, or credit card, then I will have to own up to it.

The main theme to my rules is plan making, and sticking to the plans. I am hoping to stop any bad habits on spending money and I am hoping that I will have a better grasp on how much money I spend unintentionally. If any of this seems unfair to any of the other debt dieters, then please speak now so that I can change my rules and post them here.

1 comment:

Kim said...

good luck to all you debt dieters! i think it's awesome that ya'll are doing this.