Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Mom's "Salary"

Stay-at-Home-Moms are seen differently by different people. On Bravo we learn about "Real Housewives," that aren't really housewives, and NOT real just portrayed a certain way for TV. I am told often, by different people, about how great the sacrifice I'm making by staying at home to care for my children. This is what I think though, as soon as I made a salary for what I did as a real stay-at-home-mom, I would not be appreciated and probably resented. According to a story on Yahoo! , I would make about $122,000. I think (just my opinion, BTW) that the same people who say we should be paid for what we do would jump up and say that we shouldn't be paid for what we do because it's not really that much work. To tell you the truth, I would like to make money so we could have a second income - it would be really nice in the current economy, but I think about what I would have to spend my money on. I would have to hire a babysitter, a cleaning service, if not a cook then we would have to buy our meals somewhere, a seamstress (since I have started sewing the kids clothes), a personal assistant to attend PTO and room mother meetings, and possibly a massage therapist because I would go crazy and be very tense. If I made my own money I would want to be able to buy myself new clothes and shoes and spa appointments. If I had to pay for the stuff that I do now then I may think it's not done to my approval, so I would feel like I was doing twice the work, just for the second income. Money doesn't buy everything, and I guess not my sanity.

1 comment:

Duble said...

I've been spending days home with our baby, and i almost look forward to comeing to work at 4 so i can get some rest.

We have hired a cleaning lady that comes twice a week and is suprizingly cheap. We eat out alot, and i tend to get my work clothing laundered.

As a CPA, I make a decent living, no where near the 122k, but infant day care is going to be about 40% of my take home.

I really think people that say they can't afford to stay home should my consider they can't afford to work