Wednesday, December 3, 2008

if only...

I really would give to everyone if I could. For Christmas I give to a few different charities usually, and this year we are scaling back on everything. I can give to the charity through our church and I am giving to one other, a family that lost everything in a fire. I really felt guilty yesterday when I got a call from some charity that wanted me to give money to help terminally ill kids have a good Christmas. I can't do it this year, sorry. I got off the phone and talked to my husband, and he helped me feel better about saying "no". That telemarketer didn't need to make me feel guilty like he did, I do give. Maybe I couldn't give to that place but I do give what I can. I hate making excuses for stuff like that...

2 comments:

Kelly said...

As a professional fundraiser, I can absolve you of your guilt. I would never, ever, ever give money to a charity that called me on the phone.

Most major charities to do not call people's homes for donations...but rat-fink con artists do. Besides, we know that everyone has their hand out this time of year...it's impossible to give to them all.

In the U.S. and the south especially, most people give to their church first, their university second and the rest of us just have to duke it out for what's left. Americans are very generous people and there's enough out there for everyone.

Give to the charities that mean the most to you and tell the others no and don't feel bad.

I'm a Mom!..? said...

A dollar here, a dollar there, it all adds up. I agree with K-mom, pick whats important for you and don't let anyone make you feel guilty... Shame on them.